Archive for the ‘ORE’ Category

Generics Saved My Sanity

Thursday, January 2nd, 2014

Quick introduction and then straight into it. As I’ve already mentioned, ORE (the game engine I started about 7 years ago during a Pascal Game Development competition) is being resurrected, although to be fair resurrected is a little strong… the original engine relied on unDelphiX and was pitiful when it came to performance, most notably so whenever I started to get ‘fancy’ ideas like alpha blended shadows. So, a resurrection isn’t quite accurate, it’s a complete new genetic code if you like… first up, it’s targetting Windows, Mac OSX, Android and iOS, so naturally it has to be some flavour of OpenGL if I am to retain my sanity (plus I know I can do alpha blending etc. with OpenGL with no really noticeable slowdown). (more…)

ORE Reborn

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013

A while ago (actually, a long while ago now) I started posting about the making of ORE, the Outer Reaches Retro Roleplay Engine. This project began life as our (as in Spirit and I) entry into the Pascal Game Development ‘Big Boss’ game development competition way back in 2006. Since then, the project has been on ice, largely because of my work and study commitments. With the advent of Delphi XE2, the possibility of using one codebase to target the two most popular gaming operating systems (Windows and Mac OSX) became a reality.

Now, with the advent of Delphi XE5, we can target the most popular gaming operating systems on the desktop and mobile devices. So, we’ve started working on the project again with a view to producing the game we started way back in 2006… The Outer Reaches – Rise of the Raiders.

My intention was always to blog about the development of the game (the first few posts I made about ORE are still available in the Delphi archive) and use the design and development process and the decisions within it as the basis for a long running series of technical articles/tutorials about Delphi. There are lots of such articles/tutorials out there already I hear you cry… well yes, but there aren’t that many that focus on using Delphi for developing games.
(more…)

ORE Shared Memory

Thursday, March 22nd, 2007

After last nights post about implementing ORE, I tried a few more experiments in the hope that I’d be able to achieve my goal of having a BDS compiled EXE load an FPC compiled DLL and share objects between the two. (more…)

ORE Implementation Obstacles

Tuesday, March 20th, 2007

Its been a bit of a slow week (and a bit) for ORE. Firstly… design… it doesn’t half get in the way and secondly… nice in theory… hellish in practice… my theories about how to shift data around the system have largely evaporated. (more…)

ORE gets off the ground

Monday, March 12th, 2007

Well, after nearly 12 months of no action, I’ve decided its about time to resurrect our PGD competition entry from 2006. I’ve also decided that although we’re going to try and sell it, I’m going to keep a track of how things are progressing with the project on here. (more…)

Bad Behavior has blocked 276 access attempts in the last 7 days.