I’m currently making some changes to my site and they may result in a temporary loss of access to some pages. Apologies for this, but the updates are necessary to make it easier to maintain. At the moment, I use DokuWiki and WordPress… whilst DokuWiki is good, having to maintain two elements to the site is becoming a bind, so I’m moving the wiki content into WordPress, but some of it is taking longer than I would like (mainly sorting out how I’m going to organise the pages).
Archive for October, 2013
A while ago (actually, a long while ago now) I started posting about the making of ORE, the Outer Reaches Retro Roleplay Engine. This project began life as our (as in Spirit and I) entry into the Pascal Game Development ‘Big Boss’ game development competition way back in 2006. Since then, the project has been on ice, largely because of my work and study commitments. With the advent of Delphi XE2, the possibility of using one codebase to target the two most popular gaming operating systems (Windows and Mac OSX) became a reality.
Now, with the advent of Delphi XE5, we can target the most popular gaming operating systems on the desktop and mobile devices. So, we’ve started working on the project again with a view to producing the game we started way back in 2006… The Outer Reaches – Rise of the Raiders.
My intention was always to blog about the development of the game (the first few posts I made about ORE are still available in the Delphi archive) and use the design and development process and the decisions within it as the basis for a long running series of technical articles/tutorials about Delphi. There are lots of such articles/tutorials out there already I hear you cry… well yes, but there aren’t that many that focus on using Delphi for developing games.